Roy’s Hall – established 1913
Originally Blairstown’s Main Street Livery, the concrete structure at 30 Main Street was fashioned into a movie theatre and community hall in 1913 by early film exhibitors, Robert Roy and Raymond Smith. Dubbed Roy’s Theatre, the building opened on April 2, 1913 and began screening silent movies twice a week. A spectacular fire on February 7, 1917 caused major damage to the theatre and destroyed five apartments adjacent to the structure. Rebuilt and modernized, Roy’s Hall reopened on July 14, 1917 and continued to show silent movies until 1930, when it was converted to “talkies.” Although the theatre survived the devastating flood of 1955 when much of Main Street was under water, the heavy competition from television was too great an adversary. Roy’s Hall was forced to close its doors on November 2, 1961.